Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Excuse me could you repeat that aka You know I'm black...


Excuse me could you repeat that! (Subtitled) You know I’m black right?!

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

 The story that popped into my mind was about an interesting conversation that I had with a little girl named Missy (Not her real name to protect the innocent – you will see why later).

I’ve worked since I was about 16 years old.  But for a brief time one summer my freshman year in college I was back at home and jobless.  I won’t lie to you (ain’t got no reason too) I was enjoying not working, but there was one small thing messing up my peace.  My little neighbor Missy (bless her heart).  This kid would knock on my door everyday to see if I wanted to play.  I’m a big kid at heart not much has changed about that and Missy my little blond blue eyed five or six year old neighbor would often come by and I would hang outside with her.  A little hopscotch, a little jump rope, whatever.  Fortunately though in the past I worked or I was in school during the week, so the interruption was only during the weekends. 

Now everyday Missy was knocking on my door (Lord, please let me find a job I prayed).  Well one day Missy and I were outside picking butter cups checking our chins to see if we liked butter, when Missy said to me “I don’t like black people!”

There are many defining moments in your life big and small and how you handle them, may not change your life, but trust me somebody’s life is about to be changed!

Excuse me I said (And no my hands weren’t on my hips and I didn’t even cock my head to the side and give her the eye) what did you just say sweetie.  Without a thought to the wind and as quick as ever Missy said I hate black people. 

Several words went through my head several colorful not for a six year old’s innocent ears to hear words danced through my head.  Then something hit me.  Now how do I respond to this blatant racist (all be it innocent) comment.  Hmm I could put my hands on my hips and tell her to tell her mother (because the home is where I assumed she had learned her hatred)  that I said she better “Bleep bleep, before I bleep bleep bleep”   Or I could tell her to go and tell the little group of kids right over there what she just told me and watch them whip her tail.  Fine! Fine all unacceptable I know, but come on man!  Fortunately wisdom kicked in and I instead said, hey Missy did you know I’m black?

I wish I could have taken a picture of how big those blue eyes were.  She was shocked!  Let me clear something up for you.  If you’re reading this and you didn’t know yet well  I’m black and not just a little bit.  I describe myself to the horror of some as fried chicken brown.  My skin is golden and bright and in my opinion the color of chicken fried hard.  (Don’t get all weird on me either I’ve seen just as many Whites, Asians ,and Latinos eat chicken as I have African Americans) .

I then asked Missy if she liked me.  With all her wonderful six year old passion.  She said well I love you Nene.  I said ok, so let’s not say we don’t like black people, ok?  (One so that these kids around here don’t kick your butt and two, just maybe I helped somebody who was on the path of racism see the world a little different).
The point to this very true very funny very sad story – is teach the young ones just to love that’s all just love!

6 comments:

  1. Nene, I really loved this sad, but true example of love. Continue to do the work of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Darlene I saw Missy a few years ago and she's still my girl although she's in her twenties with a child of her own. And she still loves Nene I think that one moment in time, may have changed how she thought of people.

      Delete
  2. The young and innocents’ “sponge” characteristic, unfortunately works against them in many households. I truly hope Lil Missy’ early revelation redirected her mindset and life course. Good work Nene. Ralph J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ralph - One for calling me Nene LOL. I honestly don't know if she learned a lesson or not, but I did. It taught the non mom me then to remind the now mom me to raise my kids with love and respect for others void of color.

      Delete
  3. Since she has become an adult have you reminded her of what she said?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - I only saw her once as an adult. She actually came looking for me and had been. I didn't remind her of that conversation though. I choose to beieve that she may not remember saying that at all because I didn't make a big deal of it, but that somewhere in her heart a seed was planted to see the world differently. Blessings and thank you SO MUCH FOr reading my Blog - Many blessings to you

      Delete