Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hold my mule! aka What are you shouting 'bout John?


Hold my mule!

Song by: Shirley Caesar

Lamentations 3:21-23 – “Great is thy faithfulness Lord!”

  ** Song about a man named John praising God in his field**

Old School Gospel sometimes it takes you there.

 Well for several months a few months ago I was feeling “Mighty low,” like Sophia in the Color Purple.  Sadness and depression became my new normal.  But the little ounce of light in me wouldn’t die out.  I knew this wasn’t where I was supposed to be and I had to get out of it.  So I asked people around me to pray for me and I still didn’t feel a shift.  I thought came to me to wake up listening to Gospel music, to start my day in praise.  To praise God in my circumstance.  Isn’t that what they say do?  I looked at my Pandora list and went straight old school save me Lawd – Georgia Mass Choir.

The music covered my house every room filled up all the dark places and started shining light.  While I was getting my coffee a song I use to love as a child came on.  “Hold my mule” by Shirley Caesar..  I was taken back to wonderful times of breakfast cooking in the kitchen and gospel playing in the background.  Then I came to my now and  I looked around my house and reflected as shouting John did.  I’m forty years old – My momma is still alive.  My brother’s and sister’s love me.  I’ve got a little girl who is a prayer warrior.  I’ve got a Toyota Echo that blows heat in the winter and cool air in the summer and keeps on ticking at 207,000.  And as I glanced at my full fridge knowing that I didn’t have to eat anything in there because I have the means  to go out and get whatever I wanted. I'm fully dressed with a wadrobe to spare.  It's the little things that add up and make a wonderful life.  All these glories outshined any darkness.  My life is alright, real good, right nice!

You may not shout in your church; you might not do the dance down the aisle, but inside your own house with Pandora blasting you are the soloist, you are the music director you are the dance leader spinning down the aisle with your arms raised – “I feel like praising praising Him!” 

In times of sadness, depression, anger, when you feel you just can’t go on.  What song does it for you?  What songs take you to His feet and reminds you that you are wonderfully made and great is his faithfulness? 


What’s yours? 
All glory to God! Love - Nene
P.S. - Thank you Marlene, you are such a blessing to me.

4 comments:

  1. I shout and dance and my church...and at home. There are several that do it for me, but here is one that we sing at church that gets me every time

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edMuLwwd92s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Karen - "You are the risen King" I tell you I am in search of some reggae gospel too.I don't shout much at church - But sometimes in my kitchen its just like FIRE!

      Delete
  2. His Eye is On the Sparrow always touches me in a way no other song can. Maybe there is no shouting - but when I sing and hear this song my heart shouts inside my spirit like with no other. Love the blog. Many thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love YOU - The Eye is on the Sparrow is one of my faves too - Georgia Mass Chior has a fast version that get's my feet the going. Love writing with you I am so excited about this. You are an Excellent editor you opened my mind!

      Delete