Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Keeping it real


Keeping it real (subtitled for real)
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me.

 

 A friend of mine posted on her Facebook what is it to actually be a real woman.  Wow I mean I know I’ve said it in the past “so and so is a real woman” and I would say that usually because she was doing something that I considered merit worthy – Like raising three kids as a single mom with two jobs.  Or maybe in reference to a man who I saw or heard about who was taking care of his children.  I’ve said it a lot in reference to a pastor or a minister when I feel like they are preaching good.

But honestly what the heck does it mean.  Does it mean that the folks who haven’t reached the standards I feel they should are fake.  Does it mean that women who wear Mac and eyelashes made in China are some how not real, because they have chosen to do something different from me.  So off I go to "Google It" to get me a foundation for the word real:

 

Let’s see what Google says about the word real:

Real

adjective

1. true; not merely ostensible, nominal, or apparent: the real reason for an act.

2. existing or occurring as fact; actual rather than imaginary, ideal, or fictitious: a story taken from real life.

3. being an actual thing; having objective existence; not imaginary: The events you will see in the film are real and not just made up.

4. being actually such; not merely so-called: a real victory.

5. genuine; not counterfeit, artificial, or imitation; authentic: a real antique; a real diamond; real silk

 

Alright we going hike up our pants and step in this thing for a minute.  So what is a real Christian is a person who never curses swears raises their voice or their hand.  Who always volunteers at church because heck they are there every time the door opens.  Or is it the one who can quote scripture and use words in there prayer so eloquently they sound like Shakespeare or just maybe the person who is a real Christian is the person who knows who to call on in times of trouble, loves his neighbor enough to console you when your down even though heck. Or the homeless person who has nothing but is still willing to share, because its in his heart.  Who you are is defined by the intentions of your heart.  That secret place where you God and your spirit meet to make decisions, comfort, laugh, and live.

 

I’ve heard people tell me in a shamed way I don’t know the Bible like you (yep there talking about me-well let me shock you right now-I haven’t read the entire thing-If I start at Genesis one more time I think I will have read at least read Genesis 66 times, which is the same number of books in the bible)  I get my thee thou and thy and verily verily all bundled up, when I pray. 

God’s love for me is know greater than his Love for you and the intentions of your heart is where he rest, that is where the real lives.

 

Keep it real in their!  And let no man define your realness not even a chick like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment